Alex shares his summary of the belt week episode of our Expedition Leader Training program.
Deep in the Costa Rican jungle, the trainee Expedition Leaders are left alone with just a few items. Here’s how they survive.
Contents of a belt kit
- 2×1 litre water bottle
- Notebook and pen
- Small personal medical kit
- Lighter (taken away at 3pm on day 1)
- Find an appropriate place to build a camp, including a fire, a shelter and a bed. Preferably flat ground, near a water source and dry.
- Collect all the raw materials and bring them to your camp – wood, vines and leaves
- Think about the type of camp you want to build.
- Build the shelter’s structure and frame.
- Add the leaves for protection from the rain.
- Make your bed – raised off the floor and with vines for springiness!
- Start to make your fire, so it self sustaining.
- Remember to keep feeding your fire.
- Enjoy yourself and admire what you have created.
- Sleep, but don’t forget to keep your fire going.