South Africa Game Reserve Volunteering
A volunteering experience with bite! Relocate to the incredible setting of the South African bush for the animal encounter of a lifetime, working closely with the entire spectrum of safari wildlife on a working game reserve. This special program calls for animal lovers and outdoor enthusiasts to join the effort to protect Africa’s iconic big game species through park patrols; predator tracking; species surveys and more.
- Ultimate Big 5 experience
- Hands-on conservation management contribution
- Vital field experiential education to contribute to future career goals
- Weekend excursions to Port Elizabeth
Your home during your stay will be an exclusive game reserve centre a few hours out of Port Elizabeth in South Africa’s Eastern Cape, enveloped in 6000 hectares of some of the most biodiverse land in the country. The reserve is home to all of Africa’s Big 5 species – elephant, Cape buffalo, rhinoceros, lion, and leopard – as well as numerous other endangered species like cheetah.
As part of its mission to study and conserve all that spectacular wildlife and support the ecosystem they habitat, the reserve operates a range of conservation projects in which the volunteer can actively participate. The activities you will be expected to get involved with include but are not limited to:
- Orientation (how not to get lost in the bush)
- Wild animal behaviour
- Bush survival skills
- Species identification, plants and animals
- Anti-poaching and fence patrol
During your time at the reserve, park guides and animal experts will instruct you in key skills, including:
- Orientation (how not to get lost in the bush);
- Wild animal behaviour;
- Bush survival skills;
- Species identification, plants and animals;
- Anti-poaching and fence patrol.
Working hours are 8:30-16:30 Monday to Friday with breaks for meals. Food is plentiful and varied, with western favourites available as well as local specialities. Volunteers are accommodated in purpose-built single sex shared dormitories. Weekend excursions to Port Elizabeth are a common feature of the social life at the reserve. Volunteers at the centre come from all over the world, creating a lively community of likeminded individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Comprehensive pre-departure support;
- Local coordinators supervising throughout the program;
- Airport transfers;
- Welcome and safety briefing;
- 3 meals a day;
- Weekend excursions including transport;
- 24/7 UK emergency backup
After submitting this form, we will try and get back to you within 24 hours
- Duration: 4 to 8 weeks
- Departures: Every month