Trekforce Expedition Leader Training
Follow in the footsteps of past Gapforce Leaders including Bruce Parry and Ed Stafford - learn key Survival and Leadership skills on this unique and challenging 4 month course and use your skills in jobs in film, TV, charity expeditions, school groups and gap years.
You start in the mountains of Wales and then the team heads off to the jungles of Costa Rica. This extreme training course will push you to the limit. Our instructors are there to test you and they won't make it easy. Can you get your team through some of the most challenging terrain? Will you pass as a Gapforce Expedition Leader?
Mountain Leader and Expedition Medical Training
- Level 1: Mountain Leader Training (Wales) Activity First Aid 2 Days.
- Level 2: Introduction to Expedition Medicine (Costa Rica) 5 days.
- Level 3: Advanced Expedition Medicine and Rescue Training (Costa Rica) 12 Days.
- Plus the extra activity specific medical qualifications listed below.
- Cave Rescue – 10 hour cave rescue plus training.
- Traps and wild food living.
- Solo Belt Kit Survival - 2 nights/3 days on your own.
- Jungle survival trek and night survival scenarios.
- Swift River Traverse Training and Practical.
- Rope River Traverse Training and Practical.
- Drowning prevention training.
- Kayak training and skills.
- Urban survival training.
- Costa Rica Rescue Training. CRRT run rescue and extraction scenarios.
- Put into practice; plan and lead a real Gap Year or School Group expedition.
- Action packed 4 month leadership course.
- Gain nationally recognised training qualifications.
- Jungle survival, remote medicine and cave rescue Training!
- Plan and lead an actual Expedition, put your training into practice.
Let’s get started! – phase 1 of your training is in North Wales and is intended to introduce you to the course, each other and start your skills development. Modules during this 2 weeks include introduction and kit, remote emergency care course, off-site safety management and ends with a 6 day Mountain Leader Training course, crucial for those wanting to work in the outdoor adventure industry!
Deploy to the Jungle – following the successful completion of the Wales modules, you will deploy to the jungles of Costa Rica to continue your training. The first phase of your jungle training includes Leadership and survival training, Expedition planning, group management training, kayak training, navigation and river crossings. Put your training into practice at the end of this phase with a solo night!
Advanced Jungle Training, Urban Survival, Soft Skills and more... – now you have the basics in place, you will move on to advanced specialist training modules. This builds on what you have already learnt and takes it to the next level with more in-depth training and assessment. Modules covered here include advanced medical training, river rescue, evacuation, incident management and cave rescue as well as threat assessment, urban survival and vehicle maintenance training. Not for the faint hearted!
Lead your own expedition – the final stage of your training involves planning and leading your own expedition. As you take charge of your own group, you will need to plan, recce, manage and lead a group successfully on a jungle trek.
- Comprehensive leader training on a huge variety of modules
- Recognised qualifications including RGS Off-Site Safety Management, RLSS Water Safety and Activity First Aid
- A detailed log book of your achievements during the course
- Comprehensive pre-departure support & video briefing
- Experienced Gapforce Instructors supervising throughout the course
- Airport transfers
- Welcome and safety briefing
- All accommodation
- 3 meals a day
- All transport
- 24/7 UK emergency backup
- Gapforce T-shirt
The Expedition Leadership Course is made up of nationally recognised and in-house qualifications that set you up to run expeditions.
Nationally Recognised Certifications
- Mountain Leader Training
- Activity First Aid
- RGS Off-Site Safety Management
- RLSS Water Safety
- Wilderness Medical Training
- Urban Awareness
- Expedition Planning
- Incident Management
- Kayak / Canoe
- Altitude Trekking
- Jungle Survival
The course culminates with real group leading experience. In order to test your skills to the maximum you will be leading other groups for a minimum of 2 weeks providing them with basic jungle training, as well as trek and rescue scenarios.
On successful completion of the course you will be awarded a pass mark and then be eligible for work with Gapforce as either a Leader or Assistant Leader on one of our global projects.
You will also receive your log book complete with your certificates and detailed feedback from your Instructors on your performance throughout the course, a valuable keepsake for your future career path.
"The variety... kayaking, survival, rescue training, project work, racing canoes, team management, caves, rivers, jungle... level of responsibility, you get to lead and be involved in the running of the expedition from an early stage. The duration and intensity… 4 months of training and lots of feedback to improve your leadership and expedition skills. This pushes people to their limits."Jade Bielski – Instructor, Expedition Leader Training Course
Request info pack
Fill in your details to receive an information pack containing program start dates, prices and a detailed itinerary.