Expedition and Dive Instructor Training
Join our world-leading 12-week, Costa Rica based, Expedition Dive Instructor Training. Become an internationally approved Dive and First Aid Instructor with Expedition leadership skills and great job options.
More than just a Dive Instructors Course - our Marine Expedition Leadership course is suitable to anyone with any Dive qualifications such as PADI Open Water. This course will train you to set up, budget, plan and lead a Marine Dive Program. In addition, you will learn jungle survival skills, motivation, leadership, budgeting, boat handling and marketing.
Plus, the top 10% of this Expedition Dive Instructor Training (EDI) course graduates will gain paid employment.
- Train to lead Marine Conservation and Diving Expeditions
- Basic Jungle Survival training
- PADI Advanced Open Water Training
- PADI Dive Master
- PADI Dive Instructor
- PADI First Aid Instructor
- Dive Resort Marketing and Management
- Expedition Safety and Planning
To join, you need your basic PADI open water certification and at least 30 dives. If you don’t have 30 dives, then just add our “Extra Dives Option” when you book and we'll organise an extra week of diving.
Let’s Get Started!
After you book you will be fully briefed to prepare you for this world-leading Marine Expedition Leader course. Your kit briefing will fully prepare you including a breakdown of dive equipment you require for the program. Your briefing will also include an explanation of the course content, safety and all the details you need to be ready to maximise your time on this incredible program.
Collected on arrival at San Jose International Airport, we head to our base camp on the Pacific Coast. Your initial briefing from Gapforce staff and our partners will prepare you for your action packed 12-week course.
Dive Instructor Training
After settling into your homestay close to the PADI Education Centre - you will first be dive assessed and then start on the numerous dive qualifications you will be trained and tested on.
We take you from PADI Advanced Open Water, through Rescue Diver and Divemaster to become a globally approved PADI Dive Instructor. Even if you start with a more advanced qualification than PADI OW, it's always useful to refresh your skills. All divers are coached through night dives, rescue dives so you learn to become a fully qualified PADI Dive Instructor and PADI First Aid Trainer.
What you get in addition to a standard PADI Instructors Course:
Expedition Survival Training
1. Basic Jungle Survival Training Week: You will learn basic jungle survival training including how to navigate in the jungle, how to build your basha and cook food.
It's important you learn how to look after yourself so you are fit and healthy to lead. Therefore you will be trained and assessed on your health and hygiene skills, as well as jungle trekking, camp building and overnight survival skills.
2. Expedition Planning Week. From leading a corporate charity group, to teaching a school group to dive, whatever your career plan, we prepare you with team leadership training, how to plan and budget a program, problem solving and management skills. You will be assessed on your ability to safely lead your team in difficult conditions.
Learn vital skills that are not part of a standard dive instructor course. You may go on to run your own dive resort shop, you may go on to lead TV crews in a marine environment, lead educational tours or gap year groups, whatever your plan we provide you with the skills to lead.
We train you how to work with clients, how to handle basic social media and digital marketing. International risk assessments and how to present them. In addition, we include core skills like boat handling and compressor maintenance. Learn with confidence to safely lead a successful dive program.
Marine Leadership Jobs
Due to the high skills content of this course - we guarantee that the top 10% of graduates on EDI will be offered paid employment. Get ready to combine your in-depth training with actual work experience!
If you only have 6-17 dives, then you need our two week Preparation Course - £740
If you only have 18-29 dives, then you need our one week Preparation Course - £370
Both include: Airport pick-up, food, accommodation and all required extra dives as listed.
30+ dives: No extra dives needed.
The Gapforce Expedition Dive Instructor Training includes:
- Full Pre-departure briefing and video call plus Gapforce T-shirt
- San Jose Airport Pick up (flights excluded)
- In county Gapforce UK leaders
- Homestay accommodation including breakfast, dinner, Wi-Fi and laundry
- PADI Advanced Open Water certification
- PADI Emergency First Response certification
- PADI Rescue Diver certification
- PADI Dive Master certification
- PADI Marine research and conservation specialty and Fish ID specialty (as these qualifications are required for getting a job at one of our Marine Research Bases)
- Jungle Survival Training; Navigation, survival, safety, trekking and camp building.
- Self-reliant diver certification
- Scuba tank visual inspection certification
- Expedition Leadership; Planning and budgeting, motivation and leadership.
- PADI Emergency First Response Instructor certification
- Resort training; sales techniques, course pricing and budgets, working with clients, boat handling and marketing techniques including social media
- Hands-on Skills: Dive boat handling, equipment maintenance, compressor basics
- PADI Instructor program certification
- Plus, these extras: 5 Instructor specialties - Marine Research and Conservation, AWARE Shark, Fish ID, Underwater Naturalist, Equipment or Nitrox certifications
- Career placement advice
- Top 10% will be offered employments at one of our Caribbean locations
Request info pack
Fill in your details to receive an information pack containing program start dates, prices and a detailed itinerary.