Sri Lanka Volunteering
Often referred to the as the ‘Pearl of the Indian Ocean’, few places in the world can offer such a remarkable combination of stunning landscapes, pristine beaches, captivating cultural heritage and unique experiences.
Join us in Sri Lanka for the ultimate wildlife volunteering experience. Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture whilst volunteering at a world-renowned turtle conservation site. With options to extend your stay and add a week of adventurous outdoor activities, there aren’t many better volunteering destinations!
- Discover beaches, temples and delicious food on this magical island nation
- Enrich your experience with cultural exposure and local language lessons
- Take care of nesting turtles and release hatchlings into the sea
- Volunteer at the only certified disabled turtle conservation project in Sri Lanka
- Lace up your boots for a week of treks and adventurous activities (optional)
Start your volunteering experience with a week discovering Sri Lanka’s diverse geography and vibrant culture. Your first week will be spent in the culture capital of Kandy! You can look forward to:
- Learning about the origins of Buddhism and mysterious local mythology,
- Visiting temples including the most sacred ‘Temple of the Tooth’,
- Enriching your experience with local language lessons,
- Experiencing a traditional Ayurvedic massage, witnessing an ancient Kandyan dance performance and tasting delicious local cuisine. The perfect start to your Sri Lankan adventure!
On this project you will help care for nesting turtles whilst surrounded by the pristine blue waters and white sands of Ambalangoda. You will also help increase the number of turtles in the ocean by releasing baby hatchlings into the sea. Volunteering Monday to Friday, the activities you help with will change according to local weather and beach conditions, however typical activities during the week will include:
- Feeding the turtles (every other day)
- Cleaning the tanks at the conservation centre,
- Washing and cleaning the turtles,
- Helping with the weekly release of over 100 new-born turtles into the ocean (depends on the weather and season).
Looking to stay longer?
If you would like to extend your stay beyond two weeks this can easily be arranged in week long blocks. You can choose to either take part in more volunteering work at the turtle conservation site, or if you fancy some adventurous activities, why not add on a trekking week to end your volunteering trip on a high! Activities for the trekking week include:
- Treks through the Hill country renowned for its stunning views and diverse flora and fauna,
- Treks in the Ambuluwawa Hills & Riverstone mountains,
- Waterfall hike, nature spotting and overnight camp,
- Visit Sigiriya Rock,
- Morning hike to Pidurangala to witness the mesmerizing sunrise.
Contact one of the team for more info.
Should you wish to extend your stay you can add additional weeks at £450 per week. This can be done by selecting an 'extra' after clicking BOOK below. Contact one of the team for more information.
- Pre-departure support
- Airport pick-up
- Local project coordinator
- Local support staff
- All accommodation & meals
- Trips & activities as listed in brochure
- 24/7 emergency back up
- Financial failure protection
What is not included:
- Flights to/from destination
- Return airport transfer
- Inter-project transfers
- Travel Insurance
- Visa & Vaccinations
- Spending Money
- Tipping & gratuities
Who takes part in this program?
This program is for anyone looking to explore and volunteer in one of Asia’s most ecologically and culturally diverse countries. There is no prior experience required although the minimum age is 18 and you must also have your doctor sign our medical form confirming you are medically fit to participate. A reasonable level of fitness is required to participate, and if you plan to take part in any water based activities you must be able to swim.
Where will I be staying?
The accommodation you stay in vary from local hostels, volunteer guesthouses and overnight camps. Most accommodation will be dorm style with shared bathrooms.
What is the food like?
You will be provided with 3 meals during weekends and 2 during weekends for the duration of your trip. Sri Lanka is known for its fantastic food and local dishes! Typical meals will include lots of curries, rice, meat, fish, vegetables and fruit, regional dishes vary and local specialties will be made available!
Who will be supervising me?
Throughout your stay, you will have the support and guidance of local program coordinators. We will also provide you with a 24-hour emergency telephone number so that you can always reach a member of the team in the event of an emergency.
What type of transport will I be using?
You are responsible for getting yourself to and from the start point of the program. Your arrival airport transfer, your transfers between poject sites and return airport transfer is not included. Internal travel throughout the course will consist of a range of transport types including public and private buses, and 4x4 vehicles. Please give us a call for more information on individual journey details.
How much spending money do I need?
You will need money for programs transfers, extra meals, drinks & snacks, as well as for any activities not on the itinerary. We advise you to budget for £140 / €160 / $200 per week (this is a guideline only).
After submitting this form, we will try and get back to you within 24 hours
- Sri Lanka
- Duration: 2 to 3 weeks
- Departures: Every month