Sustainable Action Costa Rica
Costa Rica often gets media coverage for its efforts in environmental conservation and clean energy. But what do these successes look like in communities? What are the ongoing challenges in sustainable development? How do environmental initiatives align with social and economic development?
Sustainable Action Costa Rica combines a dive into questions like these with a fun and active week among peers in one of the most beautiful and biodiverse countries in the world. Along the way you’ll have the chance to hike, swim, try local cuisine, and share a lot of fun moments with new friends.
Enhance your knowledge and embrace the 'Pura Vida' lifestyle in Costa Rica!
Join us on a 9-day group tour on the stunning Caribbean coast! Learn about sustainable development initiatives with local experts and enjoy the natural beauty in one of the world's most biodiverse regions. Spot unique wildlife, hike, swim, and make new friends on this exciting new program!
Exploring Sustainable Development
This program offers immersive engagement with global development issues that animate our world, from a local perspective. Each day, we’ll dive into topics of sustainable development in Costa Rica. We’ll visit local organizations to gain insight into major social and environmental challenges in the country, and innovative solutions such as eco-agricultural initiatives and animal rescues.
Adventurous Outdoor Activities
Along the way, we’ll stay active with lots of outdoor fun. Depending on which itinerary you choose there will be hikes (inclding night hikes!), waterfall swimming, hot springs, bike rides, ziplining, surfing, and more! Come prepared for an active program, both mentally and physically!
Day 1 - Welcome to Costa Rica!
• Arrive in San José, meet the group and trip leaders
• Orientation including information about daily activities
• Welcome dinner and spend the night in Alajuela
Day 2 - Caribbean coast and conservation site visit
• Start the day with a five hour drive over the mountains to the Caribbean coast
• Visit a local initiative helping to reintroduce Great Green Macaws into their natural habitat
• Learn about the community initiatives that have helped sustain the project and enjoy the natural scenery
Day 3 - Coastal bike ride and Jaguar Project
• Hop on a bike to explore the coastline with the chance to spot local wildlife along the way
• Visit the Jaguar Rescue Center, a temporary or permanent home for ill, injured, or orphaned animals
• Group dinner
Day 4 - Boat ride and Bribri community introduction
• Head inland to the rural community of Bribri, an indigenous community of Costa Rica
• Take a magical boat ride up the river to the town of Yorkin
• Learn about the community’s effort to rebuild the local cacao industry, which had been plagued by a fungus
Day 5 - Community activities and school visit
• Learn more about the Bribri community and their sustainable chocolate making process
• Engage with community members for some casual activities such as football
• Enjoy a local dinner with the community and some dancing
Day 6 - Surfing
• Return to Puerto Viejo in the morning
• Enjoy a surf lesson in the afternoon!
Day 7 - Iguana farm and jungle hike
• Visit a local iguana farm and learn about their efforts
• Hike through the jungle to a waterfall and enjoy a swim
Day 8 - Sea turtles and farewell dinner
• Visit one of the bases of Latin American sea turtles and learn about the endless efforts to protect them from poachers
• Return to Alajuela for a farewell dinner
• Closing activities
Day 9 - Breakfast and departures
• Depart from San José airport
For available start dates check out the 'Dates & Availability' section below - you may need to scroll right to view the prices and book on! You can secure your place on your chosen adventure with a deposit of either £300 or 10% of the trip price, whichever is higher. The remainder is paid leading up to the program departing.
- Pre-departure support
- WhatsApp group created prior to travel
- Airport Transfers
- Gapforce Expedition Leader traveling with the group from start to finish
- All accommodation for the duration of the trip
- All meals
- Program transfers
- All activities and tours as described in the itinerary above
- Entry fees or donations associated with excursions and site visits
- 24/7 Emergency Backup
- Financial Failure Protection
What is not included:
- Flights to/from destination
- Travel Insurance
- Visa & Vaccinations
- Spending Money (souvenirs, optional activities, etc.)
- Tips and gratuities for local tour guides and drivers
Who is this program designed for?
This program is for anyone looking to join a group of like-minded explorers on an eco-adventure to one of the most biodiverse countries on earth! The typical age range for previous groups has been between 18 and 25, and we’ve had a lot of college students and recent graduates. There is no prior experience required, although the minimum age is 18 and you must also have your doctor sign our medical form confirming you are medically fit to participate. On most days, you may find yourself on your feet for 6 hours or more, so a reasonable level of fitness is required to participate.
Where will I be staying?
You will stay in quality hotels, hostels, and cabanas throughout the program. Rooms will be multi-shared.
What is the food like?
Typical Central American food includes lots of rice, meat, beans, vegetables, and fruit. Whilst there will be some international options depending on where you are, regional dishes vary, and local specialties will always be made available! Vegetarian and vegans are easily catered for given the nature of the local cuisine. If you have any other specific dietary concerns or restrictions we would encourage you to let us know upon signing up so that we can ensure there won’t be any difficulties accommodating them.
What type of transport will I be using?
You are responsible for your flights to and from San Jose Airport. During the trip, airport transfers are included. Internal travel throughout the trip will consist of a range of transport types, including public and private buses, boats, and taxis. Please give us a call for more information on individual journey details.
Who will be supervising me?
Throughout your trip you will be accompanied by a Gapforce Expedition Leader. At various stages of your trip we utilize the services of local tour guides.
How much spending money do I need?
You will need money for additional, drinks & snacks, as well as for any activities or entrance fees not included as part of the itinerary. We advise you to budget for £40 - £60 for the week (this is a guideline only).
*Please download the program brochure for full details!
After submitting this form, we will try and get back to you within 24 hours
- Costa Rica
- Duration: 1 week
- Departures: January, June