Gapforce Travel Styles
all you need to know about our range of programs
Gapforce offers a range of structured travel programs enabling young people to explore some of the world’s most incredible locations. Each program has been carefully created by our experienced team of travel professionals and appeal to different areas of interest, age groups and travel styles. To help you navigate your way around the range of experiences available, we have put together this handy summary of key themes for each of the different travel styles.
Backpacker-style travel and activities combined with meaningful volunteering projects. Adventure programs are single-country and Explorer programs are multi-country.
- Duration: 4 – 8 weeks
- Average group size: 15 – 20
- Typical age range: 18 – 22
- Supervision: accompanied from start to finish by a Gapforce Expedition Leader with assistance from local support staff at various stages of the program.
- Appeals to: first time travellers such as Gap Year or University students looking to explore exotic locations with the comfort and security of a group of like minded people.
Group volunteering programs combining internationally recognised dive training with marine research and conservation volunteering on behalf of local project partners.
- Duration: 4 – 12 weeks
- Average group size: 8 – 12
- Typical age range: 18 – 24
- Supervision: Overseen by local Program Leader with support from Dive Instructors and Marine Biologists.
- Appeals to: Gap Year or University students / leavers interested in learning to dive and protecting the world’s oceans as part of a group travel experience.
Professional training and qualifications for work in the Outdoor Industry. Participants will follow an exciting and active syllabus with time for independent travel at weekends to explore the local area.
- Duration: 4 – 16 weeks
- Average group size: 8 - 12
- Typical age range: 18 – 35
- Supervision: Run by experienced Instructors with in depth knowledge of their specific field
- Appeals to: a broad demographic of people interested in gaining internationally recognised qualifications as a way into the industry, to complement their studies or as a personal development challenge and once in a lifetime opportunity.
Individual placements focussing on a particular area of interest. Participants will usually work Monday – Friday with weekends free to explore the local area with other volunteers or interns staying at the same accommodation.
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Average group size: Varies
- Typical age range: 18 – 35
- Supervision: overseen by local project co-ordinators who live locally and provide comprehensive inductions and ongoing remote support during the program.
- Appeals to: independent travellers looking for a meaningful volunteer project or internship placement overseas with local support and an existing traveller network to tap into.
On each of our individual program pages, you will notice an Adventure-O-Meter. This is our way of letting you know how Adventurous we believe our programs to be. Travel styles at Gapforce vary drastically - from homestays to sailboats, volunteering at animal rescue centers to surfing Caribbean waves, jungle survival training to strolling European streets – so this is just a guide, to find out more about a specific program please contact us and we’d be happy to tell you more about it.
Is your ideal vacation chilling on the beach, trekking up a mountain or learning jungle survival skills in the rainforest? Each program will have its unique set of physical challenges.
- 1 circle: Get ready to relax. On these trips, you won't need to worry about doing anything physically demanding, unless of course you want to.
- 2 circles: Some easy physical activities are included. However, no physical preparation is required to make the most of the journey.
- 3 circles: This trip will raise your heartbeat. Moderate physical activities are included and a good level of fitness is required.
- 4 circles: Prepare yourself for strenuous physical activity. The fitter you are, the more you'll enjoy it, as most activities will be challenging.
- 5 circles: Get ready for a heart-pumping adventure with plenty of challenges and some extreme conditions. It is highly recommend to physically prepare with conditioning exercises before your trip, as difficult activities are included.
Whether your adventure requires creature comforts or just the bare essentials, we have an accommodation style to match your needs.
- 1 circle: Bare bones essentials. Expect camping most nights with some potential hotel/hostel stays throughout. You will be staying in mainly remote locations, with a necessity for rationing supplies.
- 2 circles: You are going to camp! Your hair will be frizzy and clothes muddy. Yet, accommodations will vary drastically throughout your program from city-centered hostels to remote camp locations.
- 3 circles: Simple and clean hotels/hostels are in your future. Your trip may also include exotic accommodation spaces such as sailboats, tea houses, or rainforest eco-lodges. Expect a few overnight bus or train rides, as you travel from city to city.
- 4 circles: Your trip is located in one accommodation space. From homestay's to volunteer facilities and summer-camp-like cabins. You may or may not hold responsibility for daily chores.
- 5 circles: Shared, simple and clean hotels and hostels in the heart of major cities. You will have ample access to creature comforts throughout the trip.
From major cities with ample access to WIFI and latte's, to remote camp's where sustainable rationing skills are put to practice. How removed from the well-worn track are you looking to be?
- 1 circle: The hustle and bustle of major cities is for you. Ample access to all city offerings are at your finger tips throughout this trip.
- 2 circles: Day trips out of the city. Most of this trip is located in the heart of the city action, but you will venture away from the hustle and bustle for included adventure activities.
- 3 circles: Half and Half. You will equally spend time in major cities and remote locations throughout your trip.
- 4 circles: Who needs wifi anyways? You will make an appearance into large cities, but most of this trip is off the beaten path.
- 5 circles: Get ready to completely disconnect. The majority of your program will be spent away from the modern world. You will have very limited or no access to wifi throughout your travels.